Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Communicating Effectively

Communication has many different forms, both verbal and nonverbal. As instructional designers and educators, it is essential that we not only learn how to communicate effectively, but to search for the best method of communication that fits specific needs. Depending on the method of delivery (written text, as audio, or as video), an identical message might take on a new meaning for the recipient (Portny, Mantel, Meredith, Shafer, Sutton, & Kramer, 2008).  

Communication along with negotiation and conflict resolution are some of the skills we must become proficient at if we are to master the art of instructional design and/or project management (Lin, 2006).I recently participated in an exercise in which the exact same message was delivered by email, by voicemail (video), and in person. I was surprised in how differently I reacted to each.

While I did read the email message, it did not garner my full attention which I believe was due to the fact that out of the three delivery methods utilized, this was the most impersonal. When reading text, it is typical to hear your own voice delivering the message which does garner as much attention as hearing another’s voice.

As I listened to the voice message, I found that I paid more attention because I was hearing another person’s voice deliver the message which added a new dimension to the same message.

Of the three delivery methods, I found the most effective to be the one delivered in person (video). This was the most personal and gained my full attention. This was due to the fact that another individual was speaking directly to me which caused me to focus not only on the messenger, but the message itself.      

In order for a project to be successful, it is imperative that we establish sound communication practices for the benefit of all stakeholders involved in the assignment (Allen, & Hardin, 2008). This exercise has led me to believe that the most effective means of communication is the one delivered in person. As we are working in a global marketplace, this will not always be possible, so my next choice would be to deliver the message by video or teleconference where the target audience can see and hear the message being delivered.  



References

Allen, S., & Hardin, P. C. (2008). Developing instructional technology products using effective project management practices. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 19(2), 72–97.

Lin, H. (2006). Instructional project management: An emerging professional practice for design and training programs. Workforce Education Forum, 33(2). Retrieved from http://voc.ed.psu.edu/projects/publications/books/Fall2006/WEF_fall2006.1.html

Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment