Sunday, February 5, 2012

Connectivism

  
This week’s blog is about connectivism. Connectivism as a theory was introduced on the premise that knowledge exists in the world rather than just in the mind of the individual. This theory is described as knowledge which exists within systems and is accessed through the process of the learner connecting specialized nodes (Davis, Edmunds, and Kelly-Bateman, 2008).
As you can see from the graphical representation of my networking mind map, the connections follow the basic tenets of connectivism in the fact that I have created a network connecting to other people and emerging technologies. As an adult learner, I am self-directed and self-motivated resulting in exceptional grades and nurturing and maintaining connections with my college professors (Davis, Edmunds, and Kelly-Bateman, 2008). Because of this connection my professors were instrumental in helping me secure employment.
In the world of emerging technology, changes take place daily. Therefore, it is imperative to stay abreast of the changes through continuing education. This education does not necessarily have to be formal training. It can come in the form of seeking information from online search engines or from peers. My age classifies me as a “digital immigrant” meaning that in addition to the regular course work that was required for my bachelor’s degree, I also had to learn new technology and how to adapt to it. I personally have Google saved to my favorites for quick reference and I am able to keep in touch with my friends through facebook. This also follows the connectivist theory described by Davis, Edmunds, and Kelly-Bateman that states that complex learning with a rapidly changing core is best learned the connectivist type learner.
So now that we’ve discussed connectivism, let me share with you how connectivism has affected me and my method of learning. As you look at the graphic, I would like to explain how the items in my networking mind map are connected. First, I completed my bachelor’s degree and met with my professors several times afterward to build rapport. I kept in touch with my classmates and friends through facebook and would research information through Google and look for jobs through various employer websites. Once I found a job I was interested in, I went back to my instructors for referrals. Not only did they recommend me, they offered me a position at the college as well. Going through the interview process, I learned more about what my prospective employer was looking for and was able to secure employment. I then contacted some classmates who were qualified candidates and alerted them to the fact that a local employer was hiring. After being hired, I have found that my colleagues are a wonderful source of information.
So as you can see, there was a very intricately weaved network constructed through which I was able to obtain knowledge and employment and it is through this same network that I continue to learn and keep the various nodes connected.










No comments:

Post a Comment